Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Cape Hedo

Cape Hedo was the kind of trip that I won't forget in a long time. Our trek north came at a very opportune time for me.

  Growing up on the east coast (with a brief stint in Illinois), I've been lucky enough to enjoy all four seasons every year - with fall being my favorite season of all.  To say I've been a bit mopey over the severe lack of fall in Okinawa is like saying Lady Gaga is a bit eccentric. I had a laundry list of gripes. I was bummed about buying pumpkins at the Commissary instead of going to a pumpkin patch. I am really missing out on Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Lattes. I hate that it is nowhere near sweater and boot weather at the end of October. In short, I have not been a joy to be around lately. 

  Going up north never fails to set me straight. Northern Okinawa is less populated. It's lush and wild and scenic. We set out for Cape Hedo in the afternoon. Cape Hedo is the northernmost point in Okinawa. It faces the South China Sea on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other.  We spent the day soaking in the sun and scenery and taking pictures. We even stopped at a nearby beach on the way home to search for sea glass.

   The trip up north was a simple one, but it was exactly what I needed to see to be able to appreciate that although I'm lacking some of the comforts and familiarities of home, I am lucky enough to have been given a chance to experience things most people don't. 

The drive up. Can't hate views like that.

Shrines on the side of the road.

Pretty sweet life in the passenger seat

Finally at Cape Hedo!

Cape Hedo in all its glory


Waves crashing against the Cape.

Beautiful water below

Beautiful

Perfect

I don't always understand why the Japanese do things a certain way. Therefore, seeing Super Chicken at the top of the Cape just made me laugh. After a little bit of research, I found out the monument is meant to honor the friendship between Kunigami Village (where Cape Hedo is) and Yoronjima (an island you can see from the shore).

We traveled up a narrow, winding road off to the side of the parking area. At the top, there was a HUGE kuina bird. They're considered an endangered animal here. There were so many roadside signs for them that I was a bit sad we didn't actually see one. At any rate, you could climb inside and get a view of Cape Hedo from the bird, but we passed on that.

We stopped at this little beach on the way home to hunt for sea glass.

Happiness :)

Perfect ending to a perfect trip.





 

1 comment:

  1. You have to go up there before a typhoon hits. The waves are gigantic and it splashes up all around. Really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete