Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

a thankful heart

If I had to vote for a favorite holiday, it would be Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is about wearing jeans to the table. (If your family made you dress up, I'm so, so sorry.) It's about thanking God for what you've been given and most likely take for granted. It's about seeing family you haven't seen in a while. It's hugs in the hallway when you first walk in the door. It's the smell and promise of an amazing meal. It's a parade and a nap in the afternoon. It's eating turkey for WEEKS on end.


If you know me, I'm all about these things. All. About. Them.

You don't show someone you're grateful for them with a gift. Show them you love and appreciate them by bringing over that side dish. I'm down with that. 


Thanksgiving doesn't come with high expectations. No one's worried about having just the right outfit, making the best impression, who they're going to kiss at midnight, or if they'll get flowers or jewelry. Thanksgiving doesn't require breaking the bank, weeks of planning, or an elaborate vacation.


I love Thanksgiving because it's genuine. It's low-key. It's about family and friends and God. It's about remembering how precious our time here is and how blessed we are to be able to enjoy it.

Sure, it might involve road trips and you need to plan what to make. That's minimal compared to what you get out of Thanksgiving. 


The heart of Thanksgiving happens during the meal and after. Everyone eats and enjoys themselves. Hearts and stomachs are full.



You can't beat that. You just can't.
  
This morning, my first thoughts were thankful ones.

I'm thankful to have woken up to my husband's voice. Phone calls while he's gone are the best ever. I am so, so thankful for him.


I'm thankful for Annie. I am especially thankful that she has recently learned the beauty of sleeping in.


I am thankful for my family and friends back home. I am lucky to have such spectacular people to miss.


I am thankful I have sweet Okinawa friends to share today with.

I'm thankful that even though things don't always work out the way I plan, I have a God that loves me and makes sure things always work out okay.

Lastly, I am sincerely thankful that I don't have to bring the turkey.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, y'all. God bless. 

1 comment:

  1. Love your Thanksgiving post! I'm so, so thankful to have a sister like you, even if you are hours and hours away. Wishing you were here and missing you always. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete